The Center works with federally recognized tribes to develop approaches that align with cultural values while honoring and respecting American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) practices. The Center provides services that place minimal demands on staff to provide immediate and sustainable benefits for tribes.
What is Human Trafficking?
Human trafficking, also known as trafficking in persons, is a crime that involves the exploitation of a person for the purpose of compelled sex or labor. Any person under the age of 18 who is engaged in commercial sex acts, regardless of the use of force, fraud, or coercion, is a victim of human trafficking.
The Center's Work with Tribes
Free human trafficking assistance is available to tribes and tribal organizations looking to expand existing services to reach those individuals experiencing trafficking.
Contact the Center to discuss your needs and explore anti-trafficking approaches to align with your tribal community’s cultural values and practices.
Examples of the Center’s no-cost human trafficking services and resources include―
- Identifying training and resources to build knowledge of human trafficking.
- Creating human trafficking informational and outreach materials.
- Helping identify potential partner organizations and connect with federal, state, local, and other tribal government agencies.
- Navigating the range of financial resources for anti-trafficking work.
- Developing a human trafficking screening tool to use across program areas.
- Assisting with strategic planning and developing policies and procedures on human trafficking support and response.
- National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center
- Operation Lady Justice
- Tribal Coalitions
- Tribal Law and Policy Institute
- Tribal Resource Tool
- Tribal Financial Management Center
- Alaska Native Justice Center
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Alaska Native Women’s Resource Center
Help for Victims
StrongHearts Native Helpline is a 24/7 safe, confidential, and anonymous domestic, dating, and sexual violence helpline. Call or text 844-7NATIVE (762-8483).